Most of the calisthenics enthusiasts out there have probably heard about the muscle up. It is an excellent exercise for explosive power and strength, which engages almost every single muscle in the upper body. In the muscle-up, you start with your arms fully hanged on the bar (visual A), pull yourself up, and use a bit of a swing to push up to the top position (Visual B).
Why should I even consider doing this exercise? What are the advantages of mastering the muscle up?
- The obvious answer is that the muscle up is a fun exercise. You feel like a monkey that swings on the bar from the bottom position all the way to the top. This exercise will make you feel a great deal of fun, effort, and playfulness simultaneously. Not Convinced yet?
- The muscle-up also works on a large number of muscle groups in the back, shoulders, and the arms.
- Advanced athletes can benefit a lot from doing muscle ups since it is a superior strength training exercise.
- To master the muscles up, almost everyone needs to start with easier progressions, which are alternative easier variations of the exercise. Mastering the progressions of the muscle ups from the very beginning until complete mastery of the muscle up will not only make you better at many other strength exercises but will also build a lot of muscle mass on the way.
- Mastering such a tough calisthenics exercise like the muscle up will significantly develop your willpower and self-discipline since it requires a lot of commitment, hard work, and consistency to get there.
Well So far it sounds good, but are there any disadvantages to the muscle up?
The only disadvantage of the muscle-up we could think of is that it is reserved only for advanced athletes and for people with a lot of upper body strength. The muscle up is very challenging move to master and takes a lot of time. However, you can follow simpler and easier progressions to get stronger and master the muscle up. So overall, the difficulty of the muscle up cannot be an excuse not to give it a shot or try easier progressions that will prepare you for the bar muscle up.
As stated previously, the muscle up is an effective calisthenics exercise for advanced athletes and trainees to develop overall upper body strength, improve their will power and self-discipline, and of course have fun:). Mastering the bar muscle up takes a lot of time and hard work, but with the right positive mindset and progressions, it can be done successfully . Give it a try and master the movement. It is worth it!